Earlier this year, my cousin Emily Pippin Wilson died from breast cancer. She suffered for about 5 years with it. Although I didn't know her well and hadn't seen her since I was a teenager, my cousin Jessica Osborn offered to fly me and my siblings to the funeral in Las Vegas on her private jet. All of my siblings except Jor Jor flew there with her and got to see a lot of our extended family.
After I got back from the funeral, my kids (I think Nora specifically) said, maybe we could sell toys and other things to earn money for Corey (Emily's husband) and 8 kids she left behind. I loved the idea. It just took months and months to actually carry out a plan. So the girls made fliers and then I drove them around to homes in our neighborhood to get the word out.
Then we sold toys as well as kamut bread, cookies and homemade granola. The girls earned almost $500 for their family. The neighbors were so generous as well. Corey was extremely grateful and I am proud of my girls wanting to help a family that they don't know.







No comments:
Post a Comment