Benson’s Birth Story
I had a regular doctors check up Friday morning at 9 AM. I got there a little early so hopefully I could get in right at nine and be home to help my girls set up the carnival they were doing for our neighborhood kids in our backyard. I had already told the girls that they were in charge of doing everything from start to finish for the carnival and I knew they would probably be fine but I should get back to supervise for parents dropping off little ones. When I was in the doctors office I had been waiting for 45 minutes and a nurse came in to apologize that the doctor was running late and asked if I needed anything. I told her I had to leave in about five minutes to get back to something else. I literally almost left but it was a good thing I stayed! The doctor came in five minutes later and said he wanted to check my fluid levels. He brought in the ultrasound machine and the pockets of fluid were all at a 1. I knew if it went below five then I would have to be induced. He said “well, it looks like you’re having a baby today!” I asked him “you mean can I be induced tomorrow morning or is this today?” He said, “you’re definitely having a baby today. I need you to head over to the hospital.” He said I could go back home and grab a few things but Labor and Delivery needed me there within the hour. I called and called Cade but he was on a demo for work. I text and said, “We are having a baby today!!” He got off his demo and we packed a few things and went to the hospital together. All while my girls we’re putting on a carnival for the neighborhood kids in our backyard 🤣.
We got to the hospital a little before 11:00 am. They started some pitocin at 11:15 am and I was dilated to a 2 when they started. I got an epidural and Dr came in at 2:00 to break my water. I was only dilated to a 3 at that point. I got a tiny little nap in during the next hour. They had only went up to a 4 on pitocin and then went up to a 6 just before the nurse checked me. When she checked me at 3:55 I was dilated to an 8. But only one contraction later I felt tons of pressure. She checked again and sure enough I was complete. Dr. Thomas had to run over from his office fast and baby was delivered at 4:10 pm. He was rubbed down on my chest for a bit until he started crying good. We double checked to make sure it was indeed a boy :). I did skin to skin for a while until family got anxious about his stats. He weighed 7 lbs 7 oz and was 20 inches long. Pretty big for being delivered at 37 weeks! We named him Benson Cade Close and love him already.
I am feeling so grateful that everythin went really well and Benson and I are healthy and doing great so far! I am hoping to be able to go home this evening as long as Benson checks out okay. The girls are with Dad most of the day today but Grandma Bleak will come pick them up later afternoon and take them to Bountiful for a sleepover 🙂. They are excited about that. Oh, and I’m happy to report that their carnival went great and just as planned! My friend and neighbor, Kat, took care of the girls- helped them clean up the carnival, had them over after Jane’s nap and then handed them off to Boose at 5:30. Cade went home from the hospital at 8:00 pm and helped get girls in bed for the night. I got about 3 hours of sleep but am trying to enjoy the snuggles best I can!! We have felt like Benson would complete our family so I am going to try and enjoy each stage the best I can!
No comments:
Post a Comment